Song of the Week - Rescue - Desperation Band


I love a good story. The Desperation Band has a good story. Ergo, I love the Desparation Band.


Prior to 2001, New Life Church in Colorado Springs had (and still has) a thriving youth ministry known as Desparation. At the time, New Life had three associate worship pastors: Jared Anderson, who led the Sunday night service; Jon Egan, who led the high school group, and Glenn Packiam, who led the college group.


In 2001, New Life's senior pastor suggested that these three worship leaders work together for the church's first Desparation Conference. In 2003, the Desparation Band released their first album, aptly titled desperation.


"Rescue" was one of the singles on that record, penned by Anderson. Jared also released an updated, bluesier version on his 2006 solo record, Where to Begin.


It's a pretty simple song. The verse is short:


You are the source of life
I can't be left behind
No one else will do
I will take hold of you.
But the real hook is in the chorus:


I need you Jesus
to come to my rescue
where else can I go?
There's no other name by
which I am saved
You capture me with grace
I will follow you.


It's a nice, gentle, heartfelt call to Jesus. It's simplicty is what makes it work so well - it is easily remembered, and thus easily sung. Simple chords (mainly Bm-D2-G2) make it easy to play as well. All in all, a greast worship tune.


Comments

Popular Posts