Do People Really Fall For This??

Gmail does an excellent job filtering spam.  I use Gmail to manage all my email accounts, and don't have a care in the world about it.  I usually don't even look in my Spam folder, I just clean it out.  This one caught my eye, though, and had me laughing by the time I got done reading it.


Must be important. I don't even use Windows Microsoft at home, and I don't have a Hotmail account, but still, it's Windows Microsoft! 

If I had a Hotmail account, I would certainly want to avoid it closed!  Good thing the fine people at Windows Microsoft are looking out for me!  What must I do?  Fortunately, they gave me directions to be able to avoid it closed.  And I quote: 

This is email from Windows Live Hotmail® and we are sending it to you account user for your safety. Due to the anonymous registration of our account which is causing congestion to our service, so we are shutting down some account and your account was amoung those to be deleted,so the purpose of this email is for you to verify that you are the owner of this account and you are still using it by filling the information below after clicking on the reply button:


Well, that sounds legit.   I mean, they got the little Circle-R do-hickey, right?   Apparently, there is a lack of period buttons on the keyboards in Redmond, because there is one serious run-on sentence up there.  And what information must I fill out? 



Is that all?  Maybe I should send them my non-existent  Windows Microsoft Hotmail credentials. 

I know phishing is bad news, and have seen some really clever examples.  But really, does this ever work?  This thing is like a bad pickup line.   Of course, there were 97 people on the distribution list, mostly in the UK, which is odd, as this email originated from an IP in Mauritius.  So maybe they got lucky.  

Comments

  1. As long as there are dumb people and computers, this will continue to work. Apparently there are a lot of people still using IE6 out there, and although there will be exceptions (my mother is one, running a pentium based computer with W98 or similar - change is not helpful to her) most actually have a choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts