Sunday Setlist - August 9



It was a different service than normal today at Gospel Light. Most of our youth - which means most of the worship team - are away on a week-long mission trip. That can only mean one thing - acoustic set time!

So we did in fact have an acoustic set, although Chris was available for drumming duties. I really like when we get to do these stripped-down sets. They seem more intimate and personal, somehow. I wouldn't want to to do them all the time, but a couple of times a year is nice.

Opening Song:

Blessed Assurance
(Crosby/Knapp) (D)

Main Set:

Blessed Be Your Name
(Redman)(C)
God of Wonders (Byrd/Hindalong)(G)
O Praise Him (All This for a King) (Crowder)(Bb)
Came To My Rescue (Sampson/Davies/Thomas)(C)
Revelation Song (Riddle)(G)

Offering:

Montana (Gonzales/Gonzales/Gonzales)(Am)

We had decided recently that we want to incorporate more hymns into our worship services. "Blessed Assurance" is a natural - everyone knows it, and it's a rare "guitar-friendly" hymn. In fact, it sounds great with an acoustic guitar. (Though I'm looking forward to doing a more "Third Day-ish" version with the whole band. The song went over well, and was a great "call to worship" for us.

"Blessed Be Your Name" and "God of Wonders" are staples of mine for acoustic sets. This is the first time I've done "O Praise Him" on an acoustic in service, but it worked well. I found that by stumming between the bridge and the sound hole, I got a brassy, echo-y sound that went well with the song. I still torture the vocalists by making them sing in Bb, but it's really the best sounding key for this song.

"Came to My Rescue" was the highlight of the service. I'm fortunate that I didn't pop a string during the bridge, I was playing so hard.

I was also my week to bring the message, so by the end of service I was pretty exhausted. We had a great all-congregation altar call, though, using Israel Houghton's version of "Moving Foward." All in all, a great day.

Check out other services at Fred McKinnon's blog.

Comments

  1. Double-duty, eh? I don't doubt you're wiped out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous that most of your band are youth! I'm trying hard to balance our teams out with younger musicians/vocalists! Preaching too, that is HUGE! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exhausted I bet! Love the set!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts