Song of the Week - The Altar and the Door


This is a new section that I'm going to be doing, called "Song of the Week." (Actually, I'm not promising that it will be weekly, but it sounds better than "Song of whenever I feel like it.") The gist of this little category is going to be songs that speak to me, whatever I'm playing the most this week, something I've heard new that really stands out or that I've heard again differently.


The first song I'm doing is The Altar and the Door or the album of the same name by the Casting Crowns. First, let me say, I am a huge Crowns fan, not just because I like their music (which I do), but also because of the seriousness with which they take their ministry. At a recent concert at UMASS in Amherst, the band took time at the end of the show (in addition to the usual pastors session Mark Hall has at intermission) to simply, one at a time, pray over the audience. It was touching and sincere.


Anyway, this song has really spoken to me since the first time I've heard it.


"Careless, I am reckless. I'm a wrong way travelling, slowly
unravelling shell of a man..."

Who hasn't been in this situation? It's would be nice to think that all of us Christians have it together all the time, no worries, right? But that's not always the case, is it? All of us struggle, and all of us have some days that are better than others. And so, we throw ourselves down on the altar and pour it all out.



"Oh Lord I cry, like so many times before. But my eyes are dry
before I leave the floor. "


How often have we felt wonderful, free and lighthearted when we leave the altar? We commune with God, we feel His real presence and His hand on us. We know He is with us, and we understand what we have to do and resolve to do it.



"Here at the altar, my world's so black and white. How could I
ever falter..?"


But then we get up and walk out. And slowly we start to go back to where we were. In the car business, we say that a new car loses 25% of it's value when you drive it off the lot. I think we start to lose that feeling as soon as we get up.



"But Jesus, how can I be sure I will not lose my follow-through...
between the altar and the door?"


This is a real danger, to be sure. But maybe just being aware of the danger is a step in the right direction.


The song is easy and melodic, with Hector Cervante and Chris Huffman laying down an easy, steady rhythm, one that does not for a moment take your attention away from what is beign said in the weaving duet by Mark Hall and Megan Garrett. Give it a listen.

Comments

Popular Posts