Song of the Week - Praise Adonai



This weeks song of the week will be no surpise to some people. I've been playing this song pretty consistently all week. As they say, it's an oldie but a goodie.


Originally released on Paul Baloche's Open the Eyes of My Heart album in 2000, Praise Adonai is a very simple song, a heartfelt worship song to God. In fact, the very title simply means "praise you, Lord."


"
Who is like him? The Lion and the Lamb, seated on the throne.
Mountains bow down, every ocean roars, to the Lord of Hosts."

Paul starts the song with a question, the same question that David asked in Psalm 113; "Who is like the Lord our God?" Who indeed? Who is like Him seen in the vision in Revelelation 5? The Lion of Judah, the Lamb who opens the scroll, the One who sits on the throne? No one is like him!



"Praise, Adonai! From the rising of the sun, to the end of every
day!"


Again, right out of Psalm 113, this is a simple song of praise.


The melody is easy and peaceful, with a nice little groove. I defy anyone not to close their eyes and sway with the music. A short verse, a short chorus, easily remembered. The song has a minor chord feel, deep and lovely, harking back to it's Hebrew roots.


There has been several different arrangements to this song, and it has been covered a bunch of time, but my favorite version is here.


God Blsss

Comments

  1. Ah! I adore this song. I had not heard it until it appeared on our list of songs for our Palm Sunday celebration. We used our church's many talents to create a musical of sorts (more like monologues, and songs sung by soloists and a small choir, along with a "mini-orchestra" to back it all up).

    I adored the music to this (being a musician first, singer second) and then listened to the words...fantastic! Reminds me...I have to find this song for my iPod...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the very first Paul Baloche song that I've heard and immediately I fell in love with his music. The words are very simple yet very powerful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts