Christmas Tunes

I hold off on Christmas music as long as possible, usually until at least December.  I know some places play it right after November 1 (yes, Home Depot, I'm talking about you) and there are radio stations that blast it 24/7 from Thanksgiving onward. 

That said, it's time to load up the ol' mp3 player with the usual holiday tunes, as well as some new ones.  I've started listening to Integrity's Worship & Adore: A Christmas Offering. There are, however, some classics (to me, anyway) that always find themselves in heavy rotation.  So here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite Christmas ditties:

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 - Trans-Siberian Orchestra.   A lot of folks don't realize that this (like many on this list) is a cover tune of sorts.  Several members of Savatage formed TSO, and the latter version has become more popular.  Serious, head-banging Christmas rock.

Christmas is Coming - Vince Guaraldi Trio.  Seriously, A Charlie Brown Christmas is the hippest Christmas album ever, and this tune is the hippest tune on the record.  "Linus and Lucy" may get all the press, but "Christmas is Coming" is awesome. 

Feliz Navidad - David Crowder* Band. Before all you Jose Felciano fans start jumping on me, this song has been covered by everybody.  DC*B's interpretation is my clear favorite, off of the Wow Christmas 2005 album.

Holly, Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives.  Ok, it's Burl Ives.  Classic!

Please Come Home for Christmas - The Eagles. Another song that's been covered to death, but Don Henley brings it. 

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - John Mellencamp.  I there a better version of this song, anywhere?

Jesus, Born on this Day - Mariah Carey.  Really. I love this tune.  We work it into our Christmas Cantata every few years.

Oh, and some bad Christmas songs?    How about:

Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney.  A Christmas song that actually makes me angry!

Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg.  OK, people, THIS IS NOT A CHRISTMAS SONG!  STOP PLAYING IT!

What are your favorites, or what songs do you hate?

Comments

Popular Posts