Song of the Week - Hungry (Falling on My Knees)



Hungry (Falling on My Knees) is one of those songs that most Christians seem to know, but few could probably tell you when they first heard it, who wrote it, or who first performed it. It's a shame because Kathryn Scott is a truly gifted songwriter and performer, with a true heart for worship. Kathryn and her husband Alan pastor a Vineyard church plant in Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Hungry was written after a long period of creative drought in her life, but soon this song had been recorded by Vineyard, and was first released on the album Hungry in 1999. It is easily one of the more recognized worship songs of the past ten years.

What I like about this song so much is it paints a picture not only of the quiet despiration so many of us feel from time to time, but of the the solution to those times.


Hungry I come to you for I know you satisfy...
I am empty but I know your love
does not run dry...


There's nothing wrong with admitting we're hungry, thirsty, needy beings. There's nothing wrong with coming to God and saying "I have nothing left, I need your help..." God wants this in us. Ideally, we would come to Him before we get to this point, but He is gracious and merciful, and will take us whenever we come to Him.

I'm falling on my knees, offering all of me
Jesus you're all this heart is living for.


When we come before God broken and humble, He is faithful to answer.

This song has been covered dozens of times, by many artists. This is a recording of a worship service at Gospel Light. The song actually went on for nine minutes, because people were so broken and worshipful that day.

I would check out Kathryn's latest record , if you get a chance.




Comments

  1. I guess I should be encouraged - I can sound like that when I (fail to) sing.

    ;-)

    Song sounds OK - if the Holy Spirit is moving then it could easily be anointed, but if He weren't then I'd probably prefer something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In disclosure, that's not me singing. It is me playing acoustic, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts