Song of the Week - Comatose



Yeah. Skillet rocks. No doubt about it.






I saw these guys a couple of months ago at a Rock the Sound event in New York City. They headlined a show that included Thousand Foot Krutch and up-and-comers Kronicles, but Skillet stole the show.


It's know it's hard to see a hard rock song as one that can speak to someone (especially someone as old as me!) but I'm a head banger from way back. Besides, most of the people I hang out with these days are between the ages of fifteen and twenty-five, so the old boy's gotta stay relevent.

Make no mistake, this is not a song for the meek. But it's also approchable and melodic, singable and relateable. I can understand the feelings expressed.



I hate feeling like thisI'm so tired of trying to fight this

Man, I can relate to that. Some days I'm so spiritually tired I wonder what I'm even doing.




I hate living without You, Dead wrong to ever doubt You



But my demons lay in waiting, Tempting me away...



Oh yeah. We all have those days. The chorus of this song is a pounding anthem that makes you want to stomp you foot, pump your fist, and scream at the top of your lungs...




I don't wanna live, I dont wanna breathe
'Les I feel you next to me
You take the pain I feel Waking up to You never felt so real
I don't wanna sleep, I don't wanna dream
'Cause my dreams don't comfort me


One of the reasons, I suppose, I like Skillet so much is that after the show I got to spend some time talking to John Cooper in the green room. What he really cared about (other than how they sounded) was my opinion of how the kids in the room were reacting to the show - not were they enjoying it, but were they being ministered to. Yeah, these guys still get it.


Give Skillet a chance. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they deserve better than to go the Petra route. And if you don't know who Petra is, that's the point.
Skillet at the Grand Ballroom NYC, 2008.

Comments

Popular Posts