Comfort Food

From Wikipedia:

The term, comfort food refers to a variety of familiar, simple foods that are usually home-cooked or eaten at informal restaurants... Many people turn to comfort food for familiarity, emotional security, or as a special reward."

Yesterday's blog post and the accompanying Setlist Sunday posts got me thinking about this. A while ago, Fred McKinnon asked about "go to" songs... those songs that a worship leader can go to when they need a song that instantly connects with a congregation. There was a similar thread on TWC forums not to long ago.

My question is about the songs that we play for ourselves (either as a musician or a listener) that are our own 'comfort food" of sorts - songs that we go to not because they connect with the congregation as much as because they connect with us personally.

Here are some of mine:

  • God of Wonders - I don't know why, but I really love this song. This is often the one I will go to in a music shop, and I like to play it at worship.
  • Praise Adonai - this is another one that just seems to come out of the guitar on it's own. I think it's a great, simple worship song.
  • Agnes Dei - another great, simple worship song.
  • You Are Good - Always good for stepping things up and putting me in a good mood.
  • Higher - I've been noodling this a lot lately - especially those three chords at the opening. I don't know why, but I can just play that F-G-Am over and over and connect to it.
  • Heart of Worship - when noodling on the piano, or playing pre-worship, this one invariably comes up.
  • Cry Out to Jesus - This is another one that comes out whenever I'm sitting at a piano. I like the plantive, simple chord structure in the verse. And I really like the message.

What are your "comfort" songs?

Comments

Popular Posts