First Church of Facebook

Yesterday, Fern made a post about some friends of his that were finding themselves too busy to blog. Heaven forbid!

Seriously, his raised a good question - is blogging over the hill? I suppose it's certainly not the big fad anymore. And certainly, there are cases to be made for more immediate and interpersonal forms of communication in these days of Web 2.0.

I like forums, myself. I am a regular contributor to Christian Musician Forum. I also have recently started posting in The Worship Place forums. I like that give and take, you say something, I think about it and say something kind of interaction. But I suppose that there is something to be said - in this day of instant gratification - for more immediate responses.

I like Facebook as well. It's clean and down-to-business. I have no need to mess it up with crazy layouts that make it so you can't even read someones profile, anyway. I probably check that as often as I check CMF. I like the one line updates that people write, I like that it uploads this blog, I like that you can hotlink pictures.

Myspace. Whooo man. Where to start? I do have one. Honestly, if I look at it once a week, that's a lot. Myspace used to be where the youth group communicated with each other before they found Facebook. But, wow, is that a dark place. Bebo is much better. It's cleaner, and I don't get nearly as many propositions from "girls who want to meet you!" I am really trying to avoid twitter, Hellotxt or other microblogs. I am just not that interesting!

Whatever your social networking preferences, it is clear that the world is a different one than it was even a few years ago, and the web is a place we can ill afford to ignore. I've written several posts to that end, and one has even gotten picked up by several sources and reprinted. So people are talking about the web as a ministry tool.

But I hope blogging continues to thrive. I there are several that I follow regularly. They are listed on the sidebar blogroll. What I like about them is that they offer a snapshot of what the blogger is thinking. The good ones are more like random thoughts strung together than any kind of coherent narrative. And while I don't mind a blog series too much, I much prefer the non-sequiter post. Like this one.

Now back to our regular programming. Keep on blogging.

Comments

Popular Posts