Free Stuff

This is pretty deep.


Jon over at Stuff Christians Like wrote a post today that just blew me away. Far too often, we try to get stuff "on the cheap" when it comes to ministry. But as Jon points out, if we are doing things for God, shouldn't they require some sacrifice?


Do we give God time whenever we can "fit him in?"


Do we give old, free stuff to the church?


Do we look for some way to do things "without cost" so we can be "good stewards?"


Jon points out 2Samuel 24, where David approaches Araunah for a place to offer sacrifice. Araunah says:


"Let my lord the king take and offer up whatever seems good to him. Look, here are oxen for burnt sacrifice, and threshing implements and the yokes of the oxen for wood. All these, O king, Araunah has given to the king.”


Free stuff! Very kewl. But David answers:


“No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price; nor will I offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God with that which costs me nothing.


David would not offer sacrifice to God on a free altar. Why should we?




Comments

Popular Posts