Song of the Week - I Will Be Here - Steven Curtis Chapman


Yesterday was my wife Jill's birthday. After we got back from dinner, the kids had a cake and gifts waiting for her. One of the gifts she got was a copy of the book "The Love Dare," which was the basis of the film Fireproof. (Which, by the way, is now on DVD) That and the whole birthday thing got be thinking back...

In late 2000 or early 2001, when I first started getting into the whole church thing, one of my biggest stumbling blocks was music. Music is obviously very important to me, and I did not want to give up my tunes, to be quite honest. I had heard some Christian music, but Carmen was not really cutting it for me. Then someone gave me a copy of Steven Curtis Chapman's Greatest Hits. "This was some decent music." I thought to myself. Especially the two "Abbey Road Sessions" tunes at the end.

One of the songs, though, really spoke to my heart, and to my wife's as well. That song was "I Will Be Here. We liked it so much, in fact, that we used it when we renewed our wedding vows a couple of years later. To me, it is a song that really speaks of love and the union that God blesses a man and woman with.

The song was first released on 1989's More to This Life album, but Chapman has re-released it several times. It's on the Greatest Hits album, as well as 2003's All About Love.

Tomorrow morning if you wake up
and the sun does not appear
I will be here.

That is so simple, yet so profound. The song meanders through a variety of situations and difficulties, always with the promise and assurance "I will be here." My favorite lyric is in the bridge:

I will be true
to the promise I have made
to you and to the One
who gave you to me.

The song was written in Eb, owing to Chapman's range. There are a lot of chord changes, but the easy, gently pace of the song makes it fairly easy to play. It's a great song for just a singer and an acoustic guitar.



Comments

Popular Posts