Song of the Week - Whenever God Shines His Light - Van Morrison


Mike, did you say "Van Morrison?" Isn't he the "Moondance" guy?


Yes he is. He is also one of the pioneers of the spiritually-inspired and Celtic influenced musical genre known as Celtic Soul. He also wrote one of the greatest worship songs of all time - "Have I Told You Lately..."


Wait a minute! That's a Rod Stewart song!


Yes, dear old Rod covered that song, perhaps definitively, in 1993 on Unplugged... and Seated. But Van originally recorded it - as a prayer to God - on 1989's Avalon Sunset.


Avalon Sunset spawned another great praise song. "Whenever God Shines His Light" was the first single on a record that contains "Have I Told You Lately" and "When Will I Ever Learn to Live in God." All from the "Moondance" guy, Van the Man.


"Whenever God Shines His Light" is a great, snappy little ditty, a duet by Morrison and British superstar Cliff Richard. Morrison's scratchy, jazzy growl is great counterpoint to Sir Cliff's sweet tenor voice as the two trade off lyrics:


"Whenever God shines His light on me, opens up my eyes

so I can see."


"When I get lonley, as I can be, I know that God shines

His light on me"


They also sing in harmony during other parts of the song, parts that include lyrics like:


"Heals the sick, and He heals the lame! Says you can do it too! In Jesus' Name."


Yes, this is the "Moondance" guy.


The music is a simple little progression. G - C - D - G. Wash, rinse repeat.


Never judge a book by it's cover, I guess. Or cover tunes.
I don't know what these pictures are all about, but the song's right:




Comments

Popular Posts