It's Friday, It Must Be Random

I have nothing to really fill up a whole blog post, but I have a lot of little thoughts floating around my head, so here goes. *Begin stream of consciousness.*


Taking Back the Songs

I've noticed that a couple of songwriter/performers are putting out albums this year. I'm talking about artists who might be better known as songwriters, or more accurately, who have had songs become very popular when done by other artists. Case in point: I just started listening to Benton Brown's new album Introducing Benton Brown. The title is apt: many more people know songs like "Everlasting God" (no, neither Chris Tomlin nor Lincoln Brewster wrote it) and "All Who Are Thirsty" (ditto Kutless) than know Benton. That's gonna change. Likewise, Tim Hughes (author of popular worship songs like "Beautiful One," "Consuming Fire" and "Here I Am to Worship") is releasing a new live CD/DVD in October, featuring some of his new music, and some of his classics. It's great to hear songwriters get their props, and perform the songs others have made famous.


Doin' a New Thing

A comment on The Joint yesterday gave me some pause to think. Brad commented on the DC*B Church Music review, and said "The last generation got stuck on the Organ, are we going to get stuck on the acoustic guitar?" Thats' a really good point. Church Music pushes the edge of the envelope out a bit, with the band's creative use of loops and effects. I recently had my first experience leading worship with a loop of my own creation at a conference, and I can tell you it was pretty cool. Look for churches to keep pushing back the "usual" and adding new ways to worship.


The Joint

...is really taking off. Thanks to everyone who's given it a look. We're getting contacted by labels regularly now, so expect lots of new reviews. Besides the two albums mentioned above, look for stuff by Todd Agnew, Christy Nockels, Matt Redman and more. If you haven't seen it, check it out.


Get thee behind me!

We ran into another little obstacle with the album last night. No big disasters like in the past, but we couldn't do our studio session last night: our engineer lost his keys, apparently. Although it's frustrating, I love when these little attacks come. It means that this record is going to accomplish something.

Comments

Popular Posts