Song of the Week - Do You Hear What I Hear


Ok, so since it's Christmastime (or is that Christmastide?) -I'm going to devote the next three Songs of the Week to Christmas music. My first one is a song that I love, that to me, really doesn't get enough credit.

"Do You Hear What I Hear" was written in 1962 by Noel Regney and Gloria Shayne-Baker, the composing duo who brought us the powerhouse "Rain, Rain, Go Away." (I did not make that up.) The song was written as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missle Crisis.

What I like about this song is the progression. Not the chord progression, but the story progression. From the Night Wind (angels?) to the shepherd boy, to the mighty king, to people everywhere, the announcement is made of the Child who has come. It shows us that no one is to great or small to recognize the Child, who will bring peace to the world.

Said the king to the people everywhere
listen to what I say
Pray for peace people everywhere
Listen to what I say
The Child, the Child
Sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light
He will bring us goodness and light!

This song has been covered literally hundreds of times, most notably perhaps by the great Bing Crosby. Still, my favorite version is Third Day, off one of the WoW Christmas records. I couldn't find a video of that, so you'll have to live with Carrie Underwood.



Comments

Popular Posts