A New Song

For the last couple of days I've been struggling with finding as song to plug into a particular place in the script for our upcoming Christmas Cantata. This is the point where one character has basically just quoted the announcement to the shepherds in Luke 2. Now, there are a variety of songs that would plug in there just fine - I could take the Peanuts route and go with "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."

But nothing I was looking at was working for me. I sat down with my guitar and started strumming, and reading different messianic prophecies. I was specifically floating around in Zechariah, Zephania and Micah.

Here's what I came up with...

O tiny town of Bethlehem,to
you a gift has come
A babe lies in a manger,
noticed by no one.
Yet the angels sing in hope and awe
for what this child will bring
Joy and peace and hope and love
From the coming of the King

Rejoice, rejoice, for the King comes to you.
And in your days of darkness
His light of love shines through.
For he is the Holy Son of God
And his peace will have no end
Rejoice, Zion, re-joice!


On David's throne the child will rest, his
reign will have no end
For his power comes from heaven's heart,

this child, the hope of men
Mighty to save they call him now
Over us with joy he sings
And all men can share in His grace
By the coming of the King


Emmanuel!
(Holy is the Lord of Hosts)
Emmanuel!
(Hosanna to the Lord)
Emmanuel!
(Praise be to Christ our King)
Praise to Christ our King!


The song is in 6/8 time, in G. I actually start in the chorus on the I, and don't go to the vi until the bridge. If I had time I would have recorded it - maybe I'll do that for Saturday. Thoughts...?

Comments

Popular Posts